Dave Hinz

On 22 Feb 2005 11:26:15 -0800, wrote:
Howdy;

I have been searching for a metal box to build a coffee roaster out of.
The local military surplus store has ammo cans that would be an ideal
size and heft for this but I am concerned about whether the steel they
are made out of could be used for food prep.

I wouldn't worry about the steel so much as the paint. It seems like
it's oil based.

Does anyone know what kind of steel those boxes are made out of or how
I could find out? Just for the sake of discusion let's assume that
they can be sanitized and stripped down to the bare metal.

They're mild steel, and would impart flavor to food product. I wouldn't
do it.

Just an FYI, too, a coffee roaster would need to be able to withstand
at least 600F and probably up to 750F while in operation.

I'd fab something out of stainless rather than trying to force-fit
an ammo can into the deal. Can you maybe find a stainless steel
thermos, for instance, that'd work for you? If you're near Milwaukee,
I have one that's lost it's vacuum you could have.