Ed Clarke

On 2005-02-22, Duane Bozarth wrote:
"Henry H. Hansteen" wrote:

Looks like my sister's 12 year old house has a problem.
She just had to have her bathroom torn up to repair a
pinhole leak, and the plumber told her that this is
just the beginning. We found a company that claims it
can coat the insides of the pipes with epoxy, which
seems more appealing than replumbing the entire house.

..

I've never heard of widespread pinholes in Cu, certainly not in 12
years.
Is it a joint or the tubing leak? I can believe poor job of
installation but unless it was some reject tubing or there's a real
water quality issue I'm having trouble believing widespread tubing
failures...

I've experienced it. We moved into a new house in about 1957-58.
The contractor used the cheapest imported type M copper pipe that
anyone ever saw. Pinhole leaks inside the walls all over the place
by 1965. Riped it all out (ranch style 1 level house) from the
crawl space and replaced it. Had to tear down the walls in the
bathrooms to get at it all. Pain in the arse - which is why I
never use type M for anything - use type L only and no cheap imports.

--
This signature left blank.