Al Bundy

billy bones wrote:
Hey all! First time poster here but have learned much from this

group. I
have a question and need to pick your brains. I want to start storing

things
in my attic but there is no heat or air cond. to it. There is two

open vents
on each side and that is it. I want to store things such as pictures,

blankets, Christmas lights and such. My question is this: what do I

need to
do to make this happen to keep these items safe from damage. I would

think
the heat in the summer would be worse than the cold in the winter.

There is
no insulation except between the floor joices. I don't want to get

into
heating the attic because I cannot afford that kind of a project

right now.
your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I live in Pittsburgh. cold winters and hot summers.

The heat won't damage most things in the attic. Put everything in
plastic bags or cover them well because dust will cover everything.
Every nook and cranny will have dust in it. If your attic has decent
ventillation then humidity won't be a problem either. This is an
opportunity to inspect the attic and make sure the system is operating
correctly. Also, if you have one of those small hatches for access,
consider expanding it and making a nice opening that you can use for
bigger items. If there's room, a pull down ladder is fairly easy to
install. Check all the dimensions carefully as you might need to cut a
ceiling joist and box in the area.