Mike Marlow

"Mr Fixit eh" wrote in message
ups.com...
No offence to the OP, but this is an extremely dangerous and
not-code-compliant device.

1. Soldered connections are not acceptable for AC;
2. Uninsulated terminations;

Not sure about that for things like this. This is not house wiring.

I can't tell for sure, but I don't think these breakers are designed
for 20A AC loads.

Didn't they have 20A breakers on them?

Even if this were a code-compliant device, it would be unsafe to use
this with any less than 120A overload protection at the main panel and
1/0 AWG copper conductors. *Each* of those 20A receptacles can draw up
to 20A for a total of 120A.

How many circuit breakers do you have in your panel? Add up the load total
of all of those breakers. It's very common for that to total more than the
200A or whatever is coming into your house. As long as the device is
protected by a 20A breaker and #12 wire, it's perfectly safe. Remember -
the breaker in your panel protects the wire. The wire is rated for a
certain level of current. It just does not matter what is attached to the
other end. Think of this - by code you can put 12 devices on a piece of #12
wire on 20A breaker. By your logic, I'd need a 240A breaker and some nasty
sized wire for that circuit. Sorry - but you were thinking about this
incorrectly.

The OP could be held liable for any injury, death, or damage that
ensues from the use of this device. Kudos for creativity, but it
should be destroyed immediately.

Not if he didn't manufacture it. If he's just selling it he's no more
liable for it than if you sell a car and someone dies in it from some
defect. Even if he did build it, his liability may be quite small. If the
device is UL listed, you're point is even less valid. There's a lot of talk
here about liability for this and for that - even to the point of people
claiming that one can be held liable for posts in this forum. Bull. It's
always best to check with a lawyer first before making these statements.