Robert Bonomi

In article ,
wch wrote:
I see the word "Borg" refering to Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. here... I'm
wondering how the term originated. I'm guessing that it refers to the Borg
cube from "Star Wars, the Next Generation" being compared to the large
square buildings of above mentioned stores??

Well, "sort-of". grin

It's a weak pun on the aliens from "Star _TREK_, the Next Generation", As well
as a (possibly back-formed) acronym for "Big Orange Retail Giant".
Referring specifically to Home Depot, originally. Since generalized to
refer to any of the "big box" super-stores.

Occasionally 'qualified' with a color, to indicate a particular operation,
e.g. "the blue BORG" meaning Lowes. The 'red' BORG is, obviously, Menards.

The Star Trek reference was only somewhat motivated by the 'boxy' nature
of the stores. Those aliens were known to invade a territory, and take over
*everything*. Their oft-quoted mantra was:
"resistance is futile, prepare to be assimilated."

The parallels with regard to the superstores vs. the local mom-and-pop
operations are obvious. wry grin