Andy Dingley

On 21 Feb 2005 20:59:53 -0800, wrote:

After the wood is dry would there be a possibility of a
dangerous chemical leaching into the food?

It's about as dangerous as tea stains in an iron teapot..

I've searched the web for
information on non-toxic food safe dyes and for information on the
toxicity of iron acetate but have had little luck.

It's iron tannates. Although there are acetates in there when you
apply it, it's the formation of tannates that gives the dark and
stable pigment.

I'd be more concerned about the toxicity of walnut itself (juglones)
than I would about this ebonised oak. And I wouldn't worry about
those.

One problem with oak in a kitchen it that it rather tends to stain
with almost any food product. I've used it well-sealed for cabinets
and worktops, but I wouldn't use it for a cutting board (maybe for
bread or cheese alone, but even then pickles would stain it).

IMHO, cutting boards should be worked hard, not inlaid.