chris French

In message , bill
writes
was watching that DIY program on channel 5 with those 2 scottish blokes on
friday

the plasterer seemed to plaster over:
1 embossed wall paper on a ceiling
2 wall paper on a large wall

is this okay to do?

No, it's a total bodge, s the plaster is relying ion the paper/wall
bond.

i have a really bad lathe and plaster ceiling with lots of cracks and
wallpaper, i was gonna tidy it with some filler and a few layers of paint,
but i would rather get a plasterer in to give it a better finish, but i dont
want to rip the whole ceiling down and plaster board

You don't need to rip the ceiling down. Skimming over an old surface is
fine as long as it's sound. But paper etc. needs removing first. you can
skim over the old ceiling, but you risk cracks returning, and depending
on the smoothness of the ceiling the end result may or may not be as
smooth as you'd like.

We've redone our ceiling here, so as above, most we overboarded first
and then reskimmed. Didn't take down old L&P, just fixed plasterboard
over the existing ceiling, then reskimmed over that

--
Chris French, Leeds