none

On Monday, 21 Feb 2005 10:58:46 -500, "Asimov"
wrote:

"Jerry G." bravely wrote to "All" (20 Feb 05 22:20:24)
--- on the heady topic of " Strange Problem With Monitor being around
Microwave.."

It could simply be the MWO triac leaving notches in the power line ac
and this harmonic rich waveform is modulating the monitor's supply.
IOW the monitor's line regulation is rather poor. Try it on a
different breaker circuit, that might clear up the problem. I can't
believe the magnetic leakage from the MWO transformer is that great.
However the shielding on many monitors is scant to non-existant so it
wouldn't be too surprising.

JG From: "Jerry G."
JG Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:11081 sci.electronics.misc:3798

JG The magnetic field from the microwave, and possibly to a smaller
JG degree, the electrical wiring near the microwave that is supplying it,
JG is creating a magnetic field that the particular monitor is sensitive
JG to. This will not have a permanent effect on the monitor, but would be
JG annoying to someone like me.

JG If you move them a few more feet apart, you will see the effect
JG decrease.
JG If you were to have an LCD type screen, there would be no effect from
JG magnetic fields, unless they were excessively strong.

JG --

JG Jerry G.
JG ======

JG "jason b" wrote in message
JG ...

JG Does anyone know what would cause this to happen :
JG In my apt, I've got my monitor set up so that it's in my living
JG room, theres a 'window' to the kitchen where I have my Microwave. They
JG are around 5' apart. When I turn my microwave on I get a noticable
JG shaking on my screen. It only has happpened with my new monitor ( Dell
JG - Sony Trinitron 19" model M991). Do I have anything to worry about as
JG far as ruining the display ?

JG tia ,

JG jason bean

... High Voltage Electronics: Life's a glitch, then you fry.

I have the same problem with mine. Every time the microwave is turned
on I get slight blurring and jitters.
The monitor is in my office opposite the kitchen.(micro is on the
other side of the wall.)
Been doing this for years and hasn't harmed my monitor in any way yet.