Sam Goldwasser

writes:

I am going insane working on this same TV, but for this groups sake, I
will only ask the following: How are you supposed to properly check a
flyback transformer? I would think both primary and secondary sides
should be checked. Wouldn't a defect in the secondary cause problems in
the main power supply, like blown fuse, etc? I had one checked by a
tech I know, and he only checked the primary (B+) winding. The set
keeps blowing fuse and shutting down by the way. I am a beginner in
repair with good understanding of basic electronics, but have a long,
long way to go before understanding exactly how a television operates.
Suggestions on training material exremely welcome. I really am ate up
with it. Thank you very much group. I have visited other repair forums,
but ya'll are awesome.

When you say it blows fuses, do you mean all the time immediately?

Or, after some random period of operating perfectly normally?

If by "checking the primary winding", you mean doing a "ring test" or
something similar, that can determine whether there are any hard
short circuit failures but not opens and probably not a damaged core.
It also won't find failures that happen after running awhile and heating
up, or from the high voltages running around inside.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.