Luigi Zanasi

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 04:23:12 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Palmer" wrote in message
ink.net...
I just got done with my router table and have started using it. I was
wondering what to do when routing the end grain of boards to get a
smooth finish like it does going with the grain. Should I do multiple
passes...... feed the piece slower, etc.

Since it is end grain, it will never be as smooth as the edge. I find a
slower feed rate helps though. I also start the end by climb cutting
for a tiny bit to prevent tearout. You can also use a backer board for
this.

I do everything suggested:
1. Multiple passes, with the first passes taking out only a small quantity
of wood
2. Slow feed with the first few passes (depending on how much wood needs
to be removed), but not on the final ones as too slow a feed may result in
burning.
3. Climb cutting for the first one or two passes. But I end my climb cut
before it reaches the other end as I have experienced tearout if I do the
whole thing.
4. I use a square backer board along the fence.

And I still occasionally get tearout.
--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email