Colbyt

"Reh" wrote in message
The boss wants to move to another home within a mile or
so of our home. The house she wanted was $170K , 1600+ sq ft,
1.7 acers land. The tax value is $105K. I will say the county I
live in in GA is one of the fastest grown counties. But I still
thought the house was over priced. ( The siding was louiasianna
pacific, the roof was 18 + years old, most of the windows were
fogged.)
The wife says she wants a bigger house but we would have
lost space to move in the first house she picked out.
Our home is 2000 sq ft. Tax value $105k I feel we could
get $125K in a sale.

The home we are looking at are $250K, and seem to be built ass
hole to elbow. Not just one neighbor hood but most all the new
neighborhoods are hi density residentual.

How does one find out the cost of a house he wants built?
Is it usually cheaper to have the land and then to have a house
build for you?

I fell pretty sure I could have a better house then the $170K
house we looked at built for us. I'd like a house with between
2400 and 2800 sq ft. Basement if possible. Brick. Brick.
Brick. Did I mention is must be Brick?
Now, a Concrete built house would really make me happy, but I
don't know much about that. I'd like extra wide hallways and
doors to acomadate a wheel chair.

State of Georgia. Any suggestions on how one gets a price, or
even what the price might be ball park as in $per sq ft.

Thanks
REH

I would tend to agree with the averages expressed by others. All except
Kathy. Hers is worthless because of an unwanted tenant. (BG).

The only real way you are going to get a handle on costs in your area is to
spend a lot of time going to open houses. Or once an area is selected you
might get a Realtor to pull some neighborhood comp sales for you from the
MLS.

You can't compare existing construction with new construction and have it
make any sense. Your cost per square foot will be more in new construction.
Decide whether you want new or existing and then spend your time shopping
only for what you chose. If you choose existing construction then you must
select one or two areas that you would like to consider. The same house can
vary widely depending on location.

If you approach the entire project is a systematic manner of deciding why
you want to move, what you want, where you want it and what you are willing
to spend, you can enter the process of serious shopping without doing any
thing counter-productive to your objectives.

Colbyt