David Combs

In article .com,
wrote:
It's not just a cap; it is a metal connector with a 75 ohm resistor
inside it to act as a load when a TV is not connected to the outlet.
Splitters are designed for specific loads on the outputs. If a load
is missing, all kinds of ugly things happen such as reflections, huge
losses at some frequencies etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for explaining why we may need a "cap" on unused TV connectors
in a splitter. Currently, I only plan on replacing DirecTV with Dish
Network, and Dish Network will have four cables coming in to connect to
four receivers; this means there will not be any splitter involved, and

^^^^^^^^^

there will not be any unused connector. Therefore, I don't need to
worry about "cap" for now.

This info will become helpful if I later on decide to install a HDTV
antenna for getting off-the-air HDTV signal; in that case, I will need
to use a splitter to split video signal coming from the HDTV antenna,
and I will likely have some connectors in the splitter unused.

Jay Chan

Re the vocab used he what is a "receiver"?

A plain tv or vcr -- or something specially related to satellite connections?

Thanks,

David

Another question: (as you can see I know *nothing* about satellite tv, not yet)

Say you've got four tv's in the house.

And two dishes -- per earlier post from someone, so that you
can see foreign tv too (if that is true).

Now, how do you hook each tv to this system, in a way that
each one can watch whatever channel it wants, plus whether
foreign or not?

Is there some kind of a network-controller that distributes the
desired signal to the tv that wants it?

Or just physical connection to each, with a rats-nest of
cables hooked in behind each tv?

Or what?

Thanks

David (totally ignorant on this subject, eager to learn)