Art

Get yourself an professional engineer to look at it. You don't screw around
on something like this. Even drilling holes in the beam to attack
reinforcement might cause problems.

"Felix" wrote in message news:42177b12$1_1@aeinews....
I have a wood 8" x 10" beam in my basement that runs the long of my house
about 23' supported by 1 jack post midway through the length of the beam
which is right in the middle of my basement.
I'm wanting to encompass the wood beam with a metal "U" beam to add
strength
and then add 2 jack posts at the end of the beam.

My question is ... what thickness must the metal be of in order to have
the
necessary strength to support my home?

thanks
Felix