Allen Epps

In article . net, Rick
Cook wrote:

Patriarch wrote:
Allen Epps wrote in
et:

snip

I think I might go with this course of action. If it goes poorly I
think I could simply strip the wax with turpentine and use alcohol to
get rid of most if not all the shellac, a little sanding and then poly
to recover?

Allen

You could even recoat with shellac, and then topcoat with a different
varnish.

There are some super-hard waterborne coatings, which work well over
shellac. One of the characteristics some like about these is that they are
add very little color.

I am not real happy with my results, trying to apply these without a
sprayer. And I don't do enough to justify the expense and learning curve
of a decent spray rig.

Patriarch

Just out of curiosity -- what about spar varnish over shellac?

--RC

I've read that would work but all the spar varnish I've used ended up
with a very glossy finish and I'd like to end up matte.
Allen