Robert Salasidis

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:33:04 -0500, Cliff wrote:

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:04:58 -0500, Robert Salasidis
wrote:

My main reason for thinking a wiper would give better finish, is taht
it would eliminate the small diferences in insert size/mismatch, and
seating mismatch within the cutter body.

Use a tenth's indicator and indicate the inserts in or use
matched inserts. What's the tolerance on the inserts? Stated
and checked on your real ones?

Have them in the correct cutter body for that flat to work?

I have an indicator that is able to indicate at 1/20 of a thou - I
will try seeing what the mismatch between teh inserts in the cutter is

(I know my spindle runout is about 2/10 ths)

Tried the indicator on the 11 teeth of the cutter.

I have 2 teeth that are about 4/10ths longer than the rest, one that
is about 0.001" shorter, and the rest are the same within about 1/10
th of a thou.

Swap them about & see if it's the insert or the
pocket in the cutter body or the operator G.
Have more inserts?
Try for the best possible ..... large inserts
in "large" insert pockets, etc., once you know
what is what.

Check your overall process (toolholder
in spindle, insert in pocket, etc.) repeatability
as well.

I bought some inserts from MaxProTools (they were cheaper than the
Iscar ones) - I have 22 of those - so I will try them out