Kevin

Default Downlights in UPVC Cladding.

Lee wrote in message ...
Kevin wrote:
Has anyone else had any problems with LV Halogen downlights (20 watt)
melting their way through UPVC ceiling cladding?

Why did you think that hot halogen downlighters and PVC would ever be a
sensible combination?

Well thats a constructive comment. I expected the bulbs to get hot
but not the housing ! The problem seems to be specifically related to
the steel spring-clips which keep the downlights in place, this is
where the melt occurs.

I have checked the instructions and there is no mention that they
should not be used with PVC. Besides I know of other people who
appear to have used this combination effectively and yes I will be
asking if they experienced similar problems.

Can't think of any solution that wouldn't involve removing the PVC near
the fittings or changing the fittings to LED or CC.

Having checked again last night I have made the holes slightly smaller
than recommended. The instructions say 48mmm while I only have 44mm or
50mm drills. It could be that 44mm allows too much PVC to be in
contact with the metal causing the melting. I tested again using a
50mm hole and did not get the problem, however the clips have to be
very acurately placed or else they do not close properly.

Another thought has occurred, could I use small scraps of lead wrapped
either side of the PVC at the point where the clips would normally
come into contact.

Is Lead a good or poor conductor of heat in comparison to the steel
clips ?

Thanks.