Jeff Walther

In article , "Chris F."
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good used desoldering station? I've been looking
around on places like Ebay, and it seems even used ones can be pretty
expensive. Weller, Pace, and Hakko seem to be the predominant brand names.
I basically need something for general electronics - TV's, VCRs, etc.
Something that can easily desolder a 64-pin IC, for example. I've been using
a desoldering wick for years, it works but the stuff is rather expensive
(and hard on the fingertips sometimes). I don't do any surface-mount work so
I wouldn't need anything for that.
Thanks for any advice.

If you want really cheap, get a heat gun with adjustable temperature and
some modeling clay.

Cover the surrounding components with modeling clay (so they don't blow
away), set the heat gun to about 600F and apply to the target component
until the solder melts and the components can be easily lifted or its pins
pushed out of their holes. I use a dental pick to test the solder every
few seconds to see if it's soft yet.

This is not the most component friendly method, but I've been using it on
home projects for several years, with very few failures.

I've removed things as simple as 32 pin DIPs and as complex as 208 pin QFPs.

For clean-up afterwards you may still need braid. But with the component
removed you can use a wider braid (higher capacity per inch) and more
powered soldering pencil and the braid's price seems to be constant per
length regardless of width. Cleaning through-holes will be easier with
the pins removed and can be done with the various air methods mentioned by
others.

--
A friend will help you move. A real friend will help you move a body.