mp

Working on a new computer table. The frame is cherry with the top being
a piece of 24" x 42" 3/4" Cherry ply edged with a 3" band of Curly
maple with an inlayed 3/8" Greek key band on the seam. I finished the
frame last night and put several coats of Garnet shellac on it and it
looks great. I figure it won't really require a lot of protection beyond
the shellac. The top is a different matter. I was going to just satin
poly it since I know that will stand up to spilled anything and the
keyboard sliding and such but I really enjoy the look and ease of
shellac. Can I simply do shellac for the top then a really good coat of
wax or are there any other suggestions for a durable finish on top of
shellac. I'd like it to be matte or I'd just use some spar varnish I
have.

The wax, at only a few molecules thick, isn't going to offer much in the way
of protection. Shellac is tougher than many people think but poly would be
much more durable on a desktop surface.