Mary Fisher

"." wrote in message

Half a mile down the road from we we now live is a super duper all
singing
all dancing playground with bells on, funded by European money I believe.
It's beautiful, innovative, brightly painted, lots of seats for parents,
litter bins, safe and very varied equipment and restricted access so that
motor cycling yoof can't get in. It's a triumph of modern design.

And it's empty. I've never seen anyone in it.

Go take a look at around 9pm. If it's anything like the ones down our way
it
will be very busy then.

Loads of 13 year olds smoking, swearing and drinking white cider and
special
brew.

Ours has been a great success since we have started adding to it, we
have a grant application in at the moment for more equipment. We have
gone from the ubiquitous Wicksteed swings, slide and roundabout to
wooden bridges, monkey climbs, balancing poles and the like plus a BMX
area. We have attracted more children down there than ever before and
its working well, we do have a few problems but I normally stamp them in
the bud before they develop.

How do you encourage families to use it?

Our was built on a featureless piece of land which was always called the rec
(recreation ground) but hasn't been used as such for many years. I used to
play on it when I went to my Grandma's, must be ooh easily the best part of
some time ago. Sixty years.

The local population has changed since then but there are still children.

Mary
--
David