Travis Jordan

shinypenny wrote:
That house sat on the market for 13 months, during which time, the
renters moved out, and it sat empty through a harsh winter. At that
point I was a happy new owner of a nicer, bigger place for less than
what they were asking, but I still checked on occasion because I was
curious whatever happened to it.

I think this happens more frequently than you might expect. I've had a
couple of friends who got stuck with houses that they bought new and
then couldn't sell for their original purchase price. Their
neighborhood was still being built out, and buyers would always pick the
new homes (where they could select colors, carpet, etc.) over the used
house.

OTOH, I once owned two homes at the same time, living in one while
renovating the other. I put the first one on the market at a price the
realtor said would only attract "1%" of the buyers. It took 11 months,
but finally the property sold to a buyer who was in a time crunch and
wanted a house in my neighborhood, and at the time it was the only
property available. The only reason it worked was that I wasn't in a
hurry....since I still needed the house as a place to live.

There is certainly a direct relationship between pricing and the time to
market.