Don Klipstein

In article , Mike wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

They are excessive cost, low light quality, rapid deterioration of
output, and the fact that there are much better technologies around.

Funny, in the work I do LEDs are replacing incandescent at one heck of a
pace because the problems you mention are non-existent (indeed colour
stability with LEDs is better) and service life is much greater.

Agreed - I think the worst case LEDs are 50k hours - about 5 to 50 times the
life of an incandescent or CFL.

Actually, for white LEDs at full power 50K hours is the high end of
claims not easily "shot down". White LEDs have a problem with phosphor
deterioration, which is not a problem with colored LEDs.

As for actual life expectancy of white LEDs - I have heard enough
figures anywhere from 6K to 50K hours for good ones! Less if you push
them or do not keep them cool!

- Don Klipstein )