andrewpreece

"Aldrich" wrote in message
Hi

The ceiling joists in our 1930's house are spaced at 12" (300mm). The

loft
insulation rolls that I have seen in B&Q and Wickes are 1160mm wide.

Should
I buy these and cut them down to 300mm, or are 300mm rolls available
elsewhere?

I am aware that one should not lay the insulation right into the eaves.
However, my loft is quite drafty (the roof felt is damaged in places).

Also
the ceilings extend into the roofspace. I am not sure how to describe

this,
but I guess readers will understand if I say that the walls slope at about
45 degrees to meet the ceiling. How best can I insulate this arrangement?

Thanks for reading this,

David

I was able to get mineral wool from Wickes last year that fitted my joists
exactly,
IIRC they are 12" apart. As for your ceilings, I can imagine two options.
Either you insulate the 45 degree bits on the inside of the room by adding
plasterboard over battens & insulation, or you stuff insulation down your
eaves, but leave the occasional gap so that air can circulate in your loft
freely - I can't imagine you need to keep the entire length of the eaves
free to get adequate circulation.

Andy.