andrewpreece

"Grunff" wrote in message
andrewpreece wrote:

Perhaps apparatus
that is essentially a calorimeter would work ( i.e. pick off some of the
load power with a series resistor which sits inside a calorimeter: wait

five
minutes and measure the temperature rise ).

I think this is very cunning (also suggested by Lee) - it may well be
the way to do it. The only thing that concerns me is what kind of big
power resistor to use and guarantee that it will remain sufficiently

ohmic.

--
Grunff

A 25W wirewound would be good to better than 1% probably - the blocky gold
finish type with solder terminals, RWR### I think they might be called. I
have no idea of what
type of power you are trying to measure. Anyway, you need only sample a
fraction of it, then
multiply up the result to get the power consumed by the load. Might be
better to do it over a longer period than 5 minutes though so temperatures
in a calorimeter have a chance to equalise.
The Fluke 87 idea sounds like a lot less hassle, is that the one that
measures 'true rms'? I'd
check that it has a sampling time fast enough to record your glitches
though.

Andy.