Hugh

Default Buying a router - DeWalt DW621 vs...

bought a 'Pro' brand from B & Q (½inch) for £100 - (not the cheaper £80 one)
use it for cutting kitchen worktops (do quite a few) - it's a beauty!
worth a look.
Hugh

---------
view my philatelic items for sale on ebay at:
http://tinyurl.com/l32i
"Matthew Whyte" wrote in message ...
Firstly, thanks to everyone for replying to my query a while back about
double glazing - I'm kind of a lurker here but I really appreciate folk on
this group taking the time to help out.

Anyway, I currently have a cheapo Power Devil router that has more than

paid
for itself many times over, and although I can't complain for £30, I have
decided to take the plunge (groan) and get a decent one. Criteria:

* Up to about £200
* Must have fine height adjustment
* Decent parallel guide preferable

I've almost decided to stay with a 1/4" - having just seen some 1/2" ones
they just look too darn big for handheld use. 'Use' being general

woodwork,
some furniture making, joint cutting etc. Am I going to lose out by not
having 1/2"? Are they as cumbersome as they look? What kind of work
necessitates a 1/2" machine?

For 1/4" machines, I've sort of got it down to the following shortlist:

* DeWalt DW621
* Bosch GOF900CE
* Makita RP1110C
* Metabo OfE1229

I'm assuming that all of these are pretty good, however, I was wondering

if
anyone has any good or bad experience with any of them? Or any others to
recommend?

Also, having looked around the US sites, 'fixed' routers seem to be as
popular as plunge ones. Looks like they can be height adjusted, but not
plunged via a sprung column mechanism like the ones we're used to. Eg:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=5565

I'm not sure if they would be better, perhaps not, but just out of

interest,
anybody got any idea why we don't get them here?

MTIA, Matthew