Edwin Pawlowski

"Palmer" wrote in message
ink.net...
I just got done with my router table and have started using it. I was
wondering what to do when routing the end grain of boards to get a smooth
finish like it does going with the grain. Should I do multiple passes......
feed the piece slower, etc.

Since it is end grain, it will never be as smooth as the edge. I find a
slower feed rate helps though. I also start the end by climb cutting for a
tiny bit to prevent tearout. You can also use a backer board for this.

Also I bought a Bosch router set, 1617 EVSPK, and was wondering how you
know where to set the speed. It seems that the larger the bit, the slower
the speed and the harder the wood, the slower the speed... or at least
that is all the manual states. I"m sure it is something that goes along
with experience but just looking for a general rule...to get me started in
the right direction.

I have that same router in my table. I like it a lot.

A three inch diameter bit will have a tip speed much faster than a one inch
diameter bit. Too fast can be dangerous. There are guidelines published by
Woodzone. http://www.woodzone.com/tips/router_bit_speeds.htm

Bit Size (Diameter) Max Speed (rpm)

0-1” 24,000
Up to 2” 18,000