Wes Stewart

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:33:09 -0600, Prometheus
wrote:

|Hello all,
|
|I'm about 60% done with my new router table, and realized that while I
|bought myself some formica-style laminate for the top, I negected to
|get any adhesive for it. I'm sure some of you guys have made these
|before, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for
|attaching the laminate to the top. I'm guessing that regular old wood
|glue is not going to cut it, and I want to get it right the first time
|so I'm not fiddling around with it too much.
|
|Thanks for any advice!

I covered the outfeed table on my table saw with laminate glued down
with yellow glue ("adhesive" to my materials science friends).

The table is Baltic birch ply with a no name laminate scrounged from
my cabinet maker neighbor.

I rolled on a coat of glue on each piece, let it dry and then ironed
it on. Worked great.

I have not had as good luck with this technique when the substrate was
MDF. Apparently the moisture in the glue and/or the heat causes the
MDF to delaminate around the edges. Leaving the piece oversize and
trimming off the edges works fine.