Mike

"Lobster" wrote in message
news
Mike wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

Is there be a method of attaching the angled joists as in option (a) in
a safe and secure way, which will keep the BCO happy (they will see it
in due course). Is there some form of timber-timber joist hanger that
would do? One reason I'm concerned about the strength of the angled
joists is that the angled area in the upstairs room could be construed
as being 'floor' rather than 'wall' or 'ceiling'...

Is the joist exposed on the other side ?

Yes

If not couldn't you countersink several holes in the angled joist and

then
pass coach bolts through both joists to implement you option a ? Might

need
3*3 instead though.

Sounds a good idea. Maybe lengths of studding would be better (so as to
be able to bolt them on from both ends?

I think your BCO will trust coach bolts more.

Or better still a 7*3 laid on it's side.

Wow - why so wide?! 2 or 3 of those and I'd virtually have a solid
block of 3" timber running up the stairs!

I was thinking of one each side. And 7*3 is actually one of the standard
sizes for structural timber from which smaller sizes are often cut. But
smaller would be fine.