BillyBob

Thanks for the insight. I agree there are many advantages to having
equipment mobile. With the wood between the metal sections, due you
feel that this is adequate for the weight. Seems to me the drill press
I have weighs around 350lbs. I was thinking of adding some steel to
sandwich the wood, but I thought it might be overkill.

Sorry I was slow to respond. You have a mighty big drill press if it weighs
350 lbs. No floor standing wood drill press found in home shops weighs that
much. I have a Jet JDP-17MF and it weighs 189 lbs. Its a 16 1/2" floor
stand model - a pretty typical DP. The corners fo the drill press base are
just about on top of the corner braces in the in the mobile stand. There's
no reason to reinforce the plywood and I've had no problem with distortion
or bending.

The mobile base on my BS has a similar setup and I would agree from
using it that the pedal in the front would be best. I have thought
about putting it in the back as it would still be easy to get to, but
out of the way for normal use.

Putting in the back will force it to sit out from the wall further. A drill
press takes up enough front-to-back space as it is (my opinion).

In normal use, I don't find the pedal gets in my way. I guess I just put my
feet on either side of it and never notice it.

Bob