Tim Williams

"Crow Leader" wrote in message
Why not just use copper wire for the choke you're making?

Because I have the aluminum on hand (free scrap). Copper is a little harder
to come by at these prices. G

It's easy to work with and won't burst into flames.

Well, I think that's a stretch for 0 AWG, even at welder currents.

Copper wire is thinner for any given current rating, so you'll have more
room to work with, or be able to add more windings.

Not a problem, I can accept that I need more cores (or a larger one) to hold
the wire.

As for taking apart a MOT core. if you don't get a perfect fit between the
laminations like they get at the factory, you will lose inductance.

Frankly sir, I am a bit more concerned about the DC magnetizing current
reducing inductance a bit more than fitting the core in place BG

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
- Homer Simpson