John B

"Michael Roback" wrote
but it is dark and probably is mold or fungus
and I am not sure what to do. ...
I have read that bleach doesn't really do a good job at removing or

killing
this. It is now wet as it rained today
I don't want to infect myself with
the spores. Is there anything I can spray on it that is safe to use? I
have maybe a half of a dozen pathches or streaks. One area is maybe 2-3

ft
square the rest are smaller. But if I wait until the rains stop and

things
dry out to deal with it it may have grown alot more. Is it better to

deal
with it wet or dry? To tear the deck down and incur the cost of

rebuilding
would be a financial nightmare for me right now. Once the mold is

removed
or treated is it a pretty good bet that it will stop growing. I don't

want
dryrot growing in a deck for obvious reasons? And I was considering

govering
the underside of the deck with stucco at some point. I guess I should

paint
and leave it open to observe it over time? Any adivice or help would be
greatly appreciated.

Well, if you are that concerned, you can have a laboratory examine a sample,
to indicate what you've got.
Not all molds are created equal. Read about stachybotrys
http://gcrc.meds.cwru.edu/stachy/default.htm

That you are "on it" tells me you won't have expensive damage to repair.