Art Greenberg

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 17:02:31 +0000, LRod wrote:

I agree with others that you are engaging in wishful thinking if you
imagine an 80" span of 2xs will support your Johnson Ranger or DX-100.
You'll need some interim support and possibly embedded angle iron to
keep the sag to a minimum.

DX-100? Man, that takes me back ... that was my second transmitter. I got rid
of it when I got a B&W 5100B, with the SSB adaptor. THAT was heavy!!

I just built a new table for my RAS like the one in the Mr. Sawdust book. I
wonder if that approach might work for a heavy-duty desk top? Two layers of
3/4-inch plywood, and a few pieces of 1/8 by 3/4-inch steel from the Borg. Cut
a few matching kerfs in the plywood, slip in the steel, and glue & screw the
sandwich together.

Don't know if you can get that steel in 7 or 8-foot lengths from the Borg, but
I'd imagine that using two shorter pieces in each slot would work, as long as
you stagger the joint locations, and maybe add one or two more lengths.

--
Art Greenberg
artg AT eclipse DOT net