Art Greenberg

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:23:38 GMT, Ba r r y wrote:

The two of us (6'1" - 230 & 6'6" 250-260) were able to lift the top.
The complications arise when lining up the bolt holes. More muscle =
more control. You don't want to be sliding things around, as the
paint on the top of the cabinet will get scratched. Lining things up
was not easy for us, 4 guys would have worked well.

I am a 180 -pound weakling, and I put mine together virtually alone. I rigged
six big pulleys and nice, heavy rope as a lift. I hung (hanged?) that from one
of the lam beams in my basement. While I hauled on the loose rope end, SWMBO
used her dainty fingers to keep the thing from swinging around.

Lining up the top meant lowering the jointer to within 1/4-inch of the base
cabinet, and locking off the rope. Got a couple of the bolts just started,
then lowered the jointer the last 1/4-inch.

If you're using a mobile base, try to have it ready before you
assemble things, otherwise you'll have to lift the top, base AND the
motor. Mine's not mobile, so I forgot to mention this in my other
message.

Yeah, well, my mobile base didn't arrive till *after* I had assembled the
jointer. So back to the pulleys ...

But really, that setup worked great.

--
Art Greenberg