George

"Larry Day" wrote in message
I currently use a Jet Mini lathe but know a guy who has a OneWay 1224 that
he may be selling. I was curious if someone could give me an idea of

price
for a used 1224. I have also be coveting a larger lathe such as a Stubby.
Would the 1224 be a waste of money if what I really want is a "big boy"
lathe. I'm sure some of you out there have made several incremental
purchases, so your advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

If you want capacity buy capacity. The 1224 is the equivalent of a Lincoln
the size of a Focus. I'm turning on a similar machine, a 12" Delta 46-204,
which was called a medium duty lathe back when. Incredibly durable and
smooth, but I jumped a chance to buy a lesser-built Nova 3000 for the
capacity. I plan to let Blue take the continuous work, and baby the bigger
guy. Unless you can get that lathe for the 3-400 that the old schoolhouse
Rockwell or Deltas are going for, it'd let it pass.

After graduate school is done on the last kid, I'm getting some BIG iron!