Dan Murphy

"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"Dan Murphy" wrote in message
.. .
"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

The point is, it appears she got very, very special treatment. She
should have a felony record for vehicular homicide -- or she might
have had such a record as a minor, which could, feasibly, now be
expunged. I don't know how Texas law treats minors.

But she never even got that. You would and I would. But Laura Welch
Bush did not. That's the point.

Sorry, but I thought that it was a given that we would be strung up
by our thumbs, while they walk away. I happen to think Teddy's
exploits are far more serious than Laura's based on what's known.
Equating the two is apples and oranges in my book.

I don't disagree. I wasn't comparing the two. I made a comment about
the penalties for running traffic lights or stop signs, in a message
to Jim, and Gunner brought up Ted Kennedy because he sees almost
everything as a political affront. g

Laura Bush wasn't Laura Bush then. She was Laura Welch. She didn't
even meet George Bush until 13 years later. I wasn't making a comment
about conservatives, I was making a comment about how well-connected
people are treated under the law. She was handy because nearly
everyone has heard of this case.

The thread got twisted, as usual. g

Well it's prolly my fault too. I've been marking this thread read for the
most part. Teddy's name caught my eye.

I've seen cases like hers where charges
were dropped, not filed, or the defendant was granted some sort of
"first offense" status where the conviction is removed from their
record after a probationary period. That's not going to happen in a
case where you flee the scene of a fatality and don't report it.

Well, I haven't seen such cases. I can't imagine that someone in any
normal circumstances could violate a traffic law, kill another driver
as a result, and not be charged with anything at all. She didn't even
get a ticket for running a stop sign, fer chrissake.

There was a case out here recently, where no charges were filed. I can't
remember the particulars, but it was a high school kid that ran a light
or something. I tried to Google "no charges filed fatal car crash" and
got a bunch of hits, but not the case I'm thinking of. As far as Laura
Bush's case it's not clear that no charges were filed. IIRC, the files
remain sealed due to the fact that all involved were minors. The accident
report which is available doesn't list ant charges or tickets. But that
in itself is not unusual when all involved are injured. Wasn't the kid
that was killed driving a Corvair convertable and not wearing a seatbelt?
Not that he deserved to be T-boned by a ditzy 17 year old girl, but that
could also enter into the decision on whether or not to file criminal
charges. Also 1963 in rural Texas puts the story in a whole different
context than looking at it through "todays" eyes.

Dan