Hugh

"Vortex" wrote in message
Hi,

We've kept chickens for some years and this Winter some rats have "moved
in" under the shed, and have created a network of tunnels - no doubt
attracted by free food. The food source is now removed, and despite 2
traps and a large amount of poison (blue pellets) we still have rats.
They seem pretty smart. They're obviously hungry because we see them by
day nicking bread left for the birds.

Alpha Rat (now called "Shredder Bin Laden") is definitely a boy and has at
least one wife. Scorched earth tactics are called for before we have a
plague. I have various questions:

TRAPS
Can anybody recommend a bait that is absolutely irrestible to rats?

POISON
Our rats seem wise to "commercial" poison so I'm inclined towards the
Ukranian approach....lacing some chicken food with some kind of lethal
toxin. What? Where can I legally buy it?

GAS
Pipe from car exhaust into tunnels with all possible exits blocked. Wife
thinks I'm mad. Surely this will work? Can you also get pyrotechnic
fumigators?

ASASSINATION
Maybe an excuse to get an Air Rifle or pistol. I really don't have the
patience to stalk the Prey though...but the Dirty Harry fantasy "Probably
the most powerful airgun in thge world" does have some appeal.

VAPOURISATION WITH JAMES BOND LASER (son's suggestion)
Unfortunately my 1mW, 630 nm eye safe pointer just doesn't have the grunt.
Star Wars technology is beyond my budget and probably not CE approved
anyhow.

Any other suggestions before the hunt saboteurs get me?

David

Are you quite sure they're rats, and not Siberian filigree hamsters?