Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mike wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com.

Time to ask The Question.

If there were plugs and sockets that took up half or a third the

space
of today's, and were fully compatible with 13A plugs/skts, meaning

you
could plug either kind of plug into any and all sockets, and they

were
to all the usual BS etc, would you choose to use them? Why?

Why not just use the superior continental plug/sockets ?
Not sure how they stand under part P but they cannot actually be

banned here
as they are the approved IEC socket, not our oversized Swedish-reject
monstrosity.

Many reasons make this a no-goer.

1. the plugs dont plug into existing sockets, thus consumers would not
want new goods with these plugs, thus mfrs would not use them

There are convertors available

3. the plugs do not meet our safety standards in several respects, so
getting approval would ilkely not be possible.

NO ! All IEC plugs automatically have approval. No signatory government
can legislate against them or otherwise preclude their use. If you wish to
use them you can.

4. for anyone to use them it would require wiring in a house full of
new style sockets, and who would bother.

Changing over to these was discussed for several years in mid 90s but for
some reason came to nowt.