Rick Cook

Fletis Humplebacker wrote:

At least you aren't one of those who thinks he knew before the
attacks happened or was in on it. I'm still not sure what you

think

he should have done at the moment.

Clearly he did nothing for the rest of the day except make a
brief speech. It was one thing to leave Cheney in charge while
en route to AF1 from the school. But Cheney stayed in charge
of the nation's defense that day even after Bush was aboard AF1.

Clearly? According to who? Michael Moore?

According to all the documentaries about the attacks.

Wrong.

For
example, it was Cheney who gave the order to shoot down
Flight 93, after receiving authorization from Bush to make
the decision.

So in other words, Bush was in overall command, but he was delegating to
Cheney because Cheney was better positioned to exercise immediate
command. Sounds like smart management to me.

AF1 is designed specifically to permit the US president to
manage the national defense while airborne. That Bush left the
defense of the nation to Cheney is a clear indication that

What's your source? Or do you need one?

Documentaries on AF1.

Why am I not surprised? Now, do you want to go beyond those
documentaries and take the time to find out more what AF1's defense
management capabilities are? I thought not.

But here's a hint for you. Air Force One doesn't even have the best
airborne suite for managing national defense. Ever hear of an aircraft
called "Looking Glass?". It's not a VIP transport and it's a hell of a
lot less comfortable than Air Force One, but it has a hell of a lot more
ability to manage a crisis.

Oh, and guess what? Looking Glass is considered a fallback because it
doesn't have nearly the capability of the 'secure location' where Cheney
was holed up.

In other words, Bush's action in delegating authority for running
operations before he got back to Washington is strong evidence of his
management ability. He had the wisdom and the courage to delegate in a
crisis. That takes leadership ability of a high order, believe it or not.

I've got no great love for George Bush, but some of you people are
simply absurd.

--RC