DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

[ ... ]

Like you, I can't quite warm up to spending $67 to have my one Bestest

sent
in for the crystal to be replaced. I'm seriously considering

installing
one myself (assuming I can buy one, that is), but it's not something I've
done before. If you have any pointers, I'd welcome them.

What diameter is the bezel of the Bestest? For larger
indicators (1-1/2" and up) I turn a replacement out of 1/16" Lexan (just
a bit oversize for the measurement of the bezel), put a partial bevel on
the edge, and then place it on a ring which is turned to contact at
about 3/4 of the OD of the crystal, and press with a soft rounded
surface (I usually buffer with the plastic lids from water cooler
bottles) in the center using a small arbor press, while the bezel ring
is resting on top of the crystal around the presser.

[ ... ]

Thanks for the great response, DoN. I did exactly as you suggest when I
rebuilt my Wilson Hardness tester, which apparently had been through a small
fire. Lenses (the one mounted directly on the meter, and the cover lens,
which protects it) were distorted, but not destroyed. It worked great, but
I'm not convinced I'll be successful in finding material thin enough to make
one for the Bestest, which appears to be 1.450" diameter. Right now it's
held in by some masking tape, so it's very easy to remove and examine.

Hmm ... I ordered some sheets of the thinnest Lexan that MSC
stocked at the time. I think that it was 1/16", but i may have been
thinner. I apparently did not put the thickness information in the web
page.

If you can find some other flexible plastic that is thinner, the
same techniques should still work. You might even try a side out of a
big plastic Listerine bottle or something similar. Pick an area with
little curvature, and heat it to let it flatten more (it will probably
also shrink), and then use that as your starting material.

If you don't mind, please do provide the link and I'll explore your post.

It was a quick-and-dirty web page made some years ago. The URL
is:

http://www2.d-and-d.com/PROJECTS/Crystals/index.html

It looks as though I only photographed the Federal indicator,
and not the 5" range Starrett which I did not long afterwards.

I'd contact you on the side, but my attempts of a few months ago didn't get
through for some reason, as you may recall.

Probably because of spam from one of the other users of your ISP
resulting in the mail server's IP address being blocked. Sometimes it
is difficult to find what caused the blockage to open it up. (At least
until spam ceases, and I can turn off all blocking. :-)

There's certainly no hurry,
I'm not using the shop right now, what with the house project hanging over
my head. Just looking to the future.

I understand. The house certainly takes priority.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564