Robert Salasidis

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:11:12 -0500, Cliff wrote:

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:39:28 GMT, "Bill Roberto"
wrote:

Right out of Bill's calculator, copied from Sandvik technical help:

F = finish requirement represented as non decimal integer i.e. 32 or 63.
R = tool nose radius.

SQR((F*(8*R))/(10(sixth))

So, with the tooling & inserts & feeds he said he's using
what's the best surface finish he can expect (no wipers)
if making only one finish pass? Did he mention how much
stock he had left for a finish pass (DOC)?

0.01" - iscar told me to try a DOC that is at least the nose radius
(0.02") deep, so I will try that

Next question: What if he makes multiple finishing cuts
at the same Z? What if he steps them over?

The iscar tools have a nose radius, but also have a short flat area
(0.047"). Therefore the classic formula for ball cutters and scallop
height would not apply.

My main reason for thinking a wiper would give better finish, is taht
it would eliminate the small diferences in insert size/mismatch, and
seating mismatch within the cutter body.

Having a single wiper would eliminate all differences between the
inserts, and then the main problems would be rigiditiy of setup, as
well as the "flatness" of the flat area on the wiper.

Howeever, I don't really want to buy 10 of them to see if it will
work.