Eric R Snow

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 17:16:26 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:

This diverse group has presented many good solutions IMO to problems in both
metal working and others so I thought I would pose a question here.

What are the best ways of controlling carpenter ants? I've been battling
the dammed things for 20 years and they are still trying to eat my house.
I've tried all chemical and mechanical means I've been able to come up with
but they return and get into the house every summer. Any help
appreciated.............

Laurie Forbes

Greetings Laurie,
I live in the northwest (USA). Of course, we have carpenter ants. Even
though I had the things in my yard they never invaded the house.
Because of what my yard used to be there was standing water in the
crawl space for most of the year. My brother has had ants get into his
house. The big difference is that his siding comes close to the ground
and mine was always at least 6 inches above the dirt. The ant guy said
that they need moisture so if the ground is wet or moist and is close
to your house you will be invaded. My house sat on posts on piers so
there was no moisture or moist dirt coming close to the house in the
crawl space too. It was also well vented. Keep all vegetation at least
6 inches away from your house. Overhanging branches may also cause
problems because if an ant falls onto your roof and finds something it
likes on the way down to the ground it will leave a chemical pathway
for subsequent ants to follow. And they will cross lots of dry area,
like cement, or composition shingles, to get at what they want once
there is a trail to follow. The trail lasts pretty long too. So it
will be there the next day. And once traveled by many ants it gets
even stronger. But take heart. In Australia live ants so voracious
they will flatten tires of cars parked on the dirt for too long.
ERS