pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Dave Hinz
wrote back on 18 Feb 2005 20:54:59 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
On 18 Feb 2005 12:16:16 -0800, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz says...

Fact is, it's the stupid people, not the technology they're driving,
that makes them do stupid things.

And the new technology allows them to do more kinds of stupid
things, and get deeper into each kind of stupidity, without
getting hurt.

...right away. Like when we bought our 4WD "brush truck" (firetruck
built onto a pickup truck), the arguments were long and tedious about
tires. We finally bought pretty aggressive mud tires, and of course,
the first spring fire we had, it got buried pretty deep.

You can get stuck a LOT further in with a 4WD and good tires,
which just means you need a longer cable on the winch to get you
out.

I missed some of these stories, but they usually are variations of the
person with the two wheel drive vehicle getting into and out of the places
the four wheeler got stuck.
Like my friend who drove up Market Street, going from Ballard to the U
(in Seattle) and getting to the top of the hill and noticing _then_, the
sign "road closed due to snow."
Not 4x4, just a reliable Toyota truck and a driver who knew how to
drive in snow.

Or the time the early morning bible study met at the local diner. The
guys who made it were the old guys driving sedans, except for the one guy
with his ex-postal truck with it's skinny tires.

tschus

--
pyotr filipivich.