Laurie Forbes

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
news:KvKRd.7629$NN.53@edtnps89...
This diverse group has presented many good solutions IMO to problems in

both
metal working and others so I thought I would pose a question here.

What are the best ways of controlling carpenter ants? I've been

battling
the dammed things for 20 years and they are still trying to eat my

house.
I've tried all chemical and mechanical means I've been able to come up

with
but they return and get into the house every summer. Any help
appreciated.............

Laurie Forbes

Borate solutions, termite shields, and most of all-replace the damp,

rotting
wood they are eating...

I've tried various insecticides but the main problem is my house is next to
a wooded area and I am unable to find the nests as these ants can live
inside live trees as well as underground in buried logs. I have no damp,
rotting wood except in the nearby treed areas - the ants don't seem to
require such for nest building however as they prefer my open beam cedar
roof with its rigid styrofoam insulation.

I'm not familiar with a "termite shield" - could you describe it please.

Laurie Forbes