TURTLE

"Jedd Haas" wrote in message
In article , "TURTLE"
wrote:

Now the outside walls are cypress and the paint we used on it 25 years ago is
all but gone. Now it did stay on there good for 15 years or so before it

started
pealing off. i talk to the fellow at the hardware store where we get the

paint
and he said the cypress will suck up the paint and if you keep rolling

the paint
on it. it will just take all the paint you have till you paint it one

time and
let it dry and then it will stop sucking up the paint when you paint it

again.
if you don't paint one coat and let it dry first. the paint your

painting with
will never get a good coat because of it will keep taking paint till you

stop up
the pores of the wood and then it will stop taking the paint. We have

not bought
the paint yet and we might look at the oil stain paint for because of the
cypress being a paint sucker upper. i remember painting a placve in the front
area about 6 or 8 times tring to get a red coat to cover it. it just kept
sucking it up.

Is the outside cupress "silvered" and crackly-looking? If so, it has
probably lost all the natural oil. If you can, try sanding it a bit and
see if the color changes. (That may be more work than you want to do. Here
in New Orleans they sand the whole house with circular sanders first.)
Then prime it with an oil primer. The paint store guy was right. You may
have to give it a few coats of exterior oil primer, let it get nice and
dry. After the first coat, you might want to caulk all the exterior cracks
as well. Of course, before you start, you may want to bang all the nails
(or put in new nails as needed) to get all the boards tight. If some of
the cypress boards are in real bad shape, replace them. You probably have
a local hardwood dealer that will be selling it around 50 cents a foot or
less; maybe 25 cents a foot for the #2 stuff. If you do that pressure
washing you mentioned in your first coat, you will need to wait for a few
warm days to dry it out. If there's still moisture in the back of the wood
(but with the surface looking dry) that will bite you and the paint will
peel.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com

This is Turtle.

this camp as I say was a House at one time back in the 1940's and the cypress
trees was pulled up from the bottom of the swamp lake that was cut down on the
lake back in the 1880's. there was a Steam powered 300 foot flate Deck boat that
was cutting trees and hauling them to the bank to be haul to the saw mills for
pressing and the Flate boat sunk with a full load of trees on it. there was
close to 300 trees on it and cypress never water rots. The trees sit there till
the 1940's and they started cutting the trees again for making Navy boats during
WW l l war and the trees at the bottom of the lake was pull up also. You could
not buy the new cypress they would cut but the trees at the bottom of the lake
they would sell to the public. The fellow who built the house paid $155.00 for
all the wood in cypress to build his house and it was called bottom wood. This
cypress that has been at the bottom of the lake for 60 years has lost all of
it's oil or what every and then was nailed up and dried for another 50 years as
a house and surely lost all the oil. it was painted 1 time with water base paint
when i bought it and that is it for paint. So there has been nothing in the line
of oil on this wood.

TURTLE