Robert Monsen

For another possibility, try this link:

http://home.comcast.net/~rcmonsen/flipper.GIF

I built a circuit nearly identical to this one, which I control with a
small 40MHz radio control. The main problem I have is that the radio
control (which I swiped from a toy car) gets occasional hits, which
trigger the device without warning. I have it hooked up to a large,
lighted, mechanical pink flamingo that my wife decided she needed (and
which was on sale for 1/2 price!). Thus, it goes on occasionally by
itself, which is actually kinda fun.

The circuit itself is really just an inverter flipflop, like this:

R1
___
.---------------|___|---------------------------.
| |
| U1A U1B |
| R1 |
| |\ ___ |\ |
'--------| O---|___|----------o----| O----o---'
|/ | |/ |
\ o |
S1 \ |
\. |
o |
| R2 |
| ___ |
o----|___|---'

--- C1
---

GND

(created by AACircuit v1.28 beta 10/06/04 www.tech-chat.de)

except the inverters are NPN common emitter amplifiers instead of
inverters. IF you close the switch for a moment, the inverter U1B
changes state, thus changing the state of the other inverter. If R2
R1, then even when the button is pressed, it won't oscillate. The cap C1
must be large enough to allow the input of U1B to reach it's switching
threshold for long enough to switch, despite the action of R1.

--
Regards,
Robert Monsen

"Your Highness, I have no need of this hypothesis."
- Pierre Laplace (1749-1827), to Napoleon,
on why his works on celestial mechanics make no mention of God.