Default Pine wood stain question

I've an old cottage with old natural pine doors which have all mellowed
over a lot of years to that soft honey type colour. The back hall (I
resisted saying 'back passage') has been totally stripped, replastered,
etc and now needs skirtings, facings, etc. which I would like to have a
reasonable match with existing doors.

I recently was staying in a hostel up north and the timber colour in
the shower area was exactly what I wanted. The wood was remarkably
free of knots so was not redwood. Was it likely to be good quality
white wood stained ? - with what and what would the matt finish likely
to have been as it was totally free of dust trapment and runs that I
always associate with polurathane varnish.

Rob