nightjar

"Vortex" wrote in message
POISON
Our rats seem wise to "commercial" poison so I'm inclined towards the
Ukranian approach....lacing some chicken food with some kind of lethal
toxin. What? Where can I legally buy it?

GAS
Pipe from car exhaust into tunnels with all possible exits blocked. Wife
thinks I'm mad. Surely this will work? Can you also get pyrotechnic
fumigators?

The problem with both these is the smell of rotting rats where you can't
reach them and the plague of flies that accompany the bodies.

ASASSINATION
Maybe an excuse to get an Air Rifle or pistol. I really don't have the
patience to stalk the Prey though...but the Dirty Harry fantasy "Probably
the most powerful airgun in thge world" does have some appeal.

A silenced .22 rifle would be more effective as it has a longer range.
Whether you can get the firearms licence for it will depend on where you
live and the attitude of the local firearms officer. Ours is a keen shooter
and is very sympathetic to anyone with a genuine need.

Any other suggestions before the hunt saboteurs get me?

As already suggested, a Jack Russell. They are not terribly sane dogs, but
they do keep the rat population down.

Colin Bignell