Bob G.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:02:53 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:51:35 GMT, "habbi"
wrote:

Is there any reason not to buy a cheap 12.5" thickness planer. Are some
better than others. I plan on making raised panels for doors and cabinet
doors. Is a thickness planers one of those tools that you either buy top
quality or don't bother at all? Thanks

I have own a Dewalt for years and it does what I need done...

Obviously I am a hobbiest and do not run the thing day in and day out
but over the years it has seen hours upon hours of usage...and the
blades have been replaced a number of times...

But I sure would not classify it anywhere near TOP of the line... just
the average Name brand for home use type of machine...

Delta & DeWalt seem to dominate this market...although other Brands
are surely playing the game ...

DeWalt and Makita are generally good buys. Think well-known brands.
All surface planers snipe, but some worse than others. Good dust
collection is important for both a clean cut and your health.

Have to agree on the "snipe" but that has never been any big problem
a few simple adjustments and the application of slight upward pressure
with my left hand as the board comes out of the planner will generally
eliminate any snipe...

Good DC is required to keep the internals of the machine clean so the
cut is good... and to keep the shavings off the floor... Personally I
have not noticed much "dust" being produced..even without DC... DC is
required if you are allergic to using a broom like I am however...

Bob Griffiths .