granpaw

"David Merrill" wrote in
news:E0zRd.20334$tl3.9998@attbi_s02:

For instance:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/catego...catId=12&subId
=81&styleId=280&partNum=AAA-411

David Merrill

IMHO
I'm thinking this is not what the OP was inquiring about as the inlays
shown in the above link are for the most part mass produced.
In looking close at them, one can tell they are already decorated/finished
when applied and would most likely not be sanded/filed down after applying.
Indeed the complete rifle is available in kit form from a number of
distributors, (not to say that one was a kit.)

"Rex B" wrote in message
The way it was done on old firearms, using brass or silver:

Groove was cut into the wood in the pattern desired.
Flat narrow strips of metal (~1/32x1/8xlength) was tapped into
groove, leaving the edge slightly proud of surface.
First coat of finish, usually boiled linseed oil, was applied and
allowed to cure.
Metal was filed and sanded flush to the wood.
Additional coats of finish were applied.

This is great discription of the process for 'plain' inlays such as
initials and fine lines, larger, pre-decorated inlays were set in flush
with the stock surface with pins, or screws. Some fittings were cast brass
and silver and worked after installing.

TrailRat wrote:
How does one go about inlaying metal into wood. I'm talking about
metals like alu, brass, gold and silver. ...

My .02 worth...and I'm stickin' to it....;0)
granpaw