Eric R Snow

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:42:10 -0500, Grunty Grogan wrote:

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:35:40 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

We hit a HSS tap once, right in the middle of a block of steel. I forget
what the grade was. We sent it back to the service center and suggested they
wrap it around their necks. g

I had heard on someone hitting a FILE in an iron casting. Old
machinist told me about it. I thought it had happened decades before,
but the way he was animated, it could have happened that morning.
People STAY ****ed off about those things.
In retrospect, my discussion with the metal supplier was a LOT like
the phone call from the President to the Premier in "Doctor
Strangelove"!
"This is a FRIENDLY CALL! If it were not, we would not be having it".
(You'd get nuked/ You'd be getting a summons..)

I worked at a place where we would get castings from a customer who
was buying the cheapest iron for the pours. We found ball bearings,
races, and taps in these castings. We refused to do anymore until they
used better mnaterial. The material improved for a while then we
started getting hard spots again. Not taps etc., but just big
amorphous spots and lines of extra hard material. The castings looked
allright but some had spots on the outside that were slightly raised
and just a little different in color. After machining these spots the
color was very different. I told my boss that these castings must have
been weld repaired because of porosity. He didn't think so because the
surface of the castings had a uniform sand cast finish. But when he
asked the customer they admitted that they were welding up the ****ty
castings and blasting them with steel shot after welding and grinding
to hide the welds.
ERS