Howard Neil

Vortex wrote:
Hi,

We've kept chickens for some years and this Winter some rats have "moved in"
under the shed, and have created a network of tunnels - no doubt attracted
by free food. The food source is now removed, and despite 2 traps and a
large amount of poison (blue pellets) we still have rats. They seem pretty
smart. They're obviously hungry because we see them by day nicking bread
left for the birds.

snip

Any other suggestions before the hunt saboteurs get me?

Yes. Get a Jack Russell.

I took this approach four years ago. There was a delay of a few months
while the puppy grew but he killed his first rat when he was 6 months
old. He soon got the taste for it and, within another month, the rats
that were left alive decided to take up alternative residence. Since
then, he has deterred any further infestation. You will need to train
him/her to leave the chickens alone, though. Our JR showed an initial
interest in playing with the chickens but soon learned to leave them alone.

--
Howard Neil